Income Tax Payment Deadlines & Penalty
May 22, 2017
Understanding Tax Deduction on Educational Expenses
June 9, 2017

Claiming Income Tax Refund on Excess Tax

Video Transcription

Hello and welcome to Part 24 of the Income Tax education series brought to you by H&R Block, the global leader in filing Income Tax Returns.

Today we will understand whether you can claim a refund if you have paid excess taxes to the government account.

The answer is, yes. You can claim the excess taxes paid by you by filing your return of income. By filing your return of income you can correctly assess your tax liability and claim a refund. The refund will be directly credited to your account or sent to you through a cheque.

Filing your returns is hence extremely important in order to claim your rightful dues from the tax department. E.g. Rahul has paid a huge amount of tax as TDS amounting to Rs. 65,000 for the year ending March 2015. However he realises that he can claim a deduction for all the investments that he has made and hence his tax liability should have been much lower. He realises this and goes to a tax consultant to find out his actual tax liability. His tax consultant calculates his tax liability based on the information provided by Rahul and finds that there is actually a refund of Rs. 20,000 due on his account. He suggests Rahul that if he files his taxes then he can claim the refund.
At H&R Block our tax advisors take every step in order to find all the eligible deductions for you and get you maximum refunds.

I hope you found this useful. If you have any further questions on this topic, please feel free to ask us using #AskBlock.