Understanding Different ITR Forms - ITR1 and ITR 2

Hello and welcome to penultimate part, Part 25 of the Income Tax education series brought to you by H&R Block, the global leader in filing Income Tax Returns. Today we will understand the difference between form ITR 1 and ITR 2

ITR 1 and 2 are the different forms that can be used to file taxes by salaried individuals. Form ITR 1 can be used by persons who have income only from

  • Salary/pension
  • Income from only one house property
  • Income from other sources excluding income from race horses and lottery

If the person earns income from any other sources, capital gains or has an exempt income or agriculture income of more than Rs.5,000 he cannot use ITR 1. Hence the applicability of ITR 1 is for a very minor group of people.

ITR 2, a more widely used form is to be used by persons who have

  • Income from salary/pension
  • Income/loss from more than one house property
  • Income from capital gains or losses to be carried forward
  • Income from other sources including lottery, race horses etc
  • Income from foreign assets

In case you want to club the income of your spouse or children in your income then ITR 2 is the form applicable to you.

I hope you found this series useful. We at H&R Block are committed to help you file your returns accurately and this series was made with the intention to get you ready for your taxes. We hope you enjoyed it. As always please feel free to ask us anything you want to know about Income Tax using #AskBlock.

© H&R Block (India) Private Limited. All Rights Reserved.