Understanding Income Tax Form 16
November 16, 2017
Demonetisation Scheme in India
November 18, 2017

How to Surrender Additional PAN Card

Last Update Date : May 03, 2019
Estimated Read Time: 3 min

A PAN card once issued, remains valid throughout the lifetime of the person to whom it belongs. However, there are occasions when due to some reasons, a person needs to surrender his PAN card. The process for surrendering PAN depends on the reason for which the PAN card is being surrendered.

Surrendering of Duplicate PAN Card

It is possible that you might be in the possession of duplicate PAN card. It might have reached you because you applied for it multiple times or due to error from government’s end. Whatever be the reason, you must surrender any additional PAN you own because it is illegal to own more than one PAN.


Online Process to Surrender Duplicate PAN card:

  • Go to the Income Tax department’s website
  • Submit the required details online like details of additional PAN, details of PAN you wish to keep, personal information like your name, date of birth & contact details.
  • Submit the form you filled online.


Offline Process to Surrender Duplicate PAN card:

  • Write a letter addressing your jurisdictional A.O. requesting cancellation of additional PAN.
  • In the letter, don’ t forget to give details of the PAN card you want to surrender as well as the details of PAN card you want to keep.
  • Either post the letter to the jurisdictional A.O. or personally deliver it to him.

Surrendering of PAN Card due to Death of Individual Holder

After the demise of a person, his family members can get his PAN cancelled to avoid any possible misuse.

  • Write a letter addressing your jurisdictional A. 0. requesting the cancellation of additional PAN.
  • The letter should cover the reason for requesting cancellation.
  • It should mention the PAN details of the departed.


Note: This process can be used in case of NRIS & foreign nationals too.

Surrendering of Firm/Partnership/Company PAN Card

Firm/partnership/company needs to surrender its PAN if the company is being dissolved or closed. It can surrender its PAN either online or offline.


Online Process to Surrender Firm/Partnership/Company PAN Card

  • Go to NSDL TIN website
  • File Form 49A online. Mention the details of PAN to be cancelled in the form.
  • Once you submit the form, you will get an acknowledgement.
  • Point the acknowledgement & send it to the NSDL office address mentioned in the form along with the necessary documents


Offline Process to Surrender Firm/Partnership/Company PAN Card

  • Write a letter addressing the firm/partnership/company’s jurisdictional A.O.
  • Mention the reason for requesting surrender in the letter
  • Attach relevant documents. For e.g., if the reason behind surrender request is company being dissolved then one needs to attach a copy of the deed which states that the company is being dissolved, a copy of PAN card, acknowledgement of return being filed for the discontinuation period.
  • Submit the letter to the A.O.

Surrendering of PAN in use:

Generally, it is not recommended to surrender PAN except in cases discussed below:

  • Even if a person has zero income, PAN is useful as a valid identity proof to him & therefore can be used for various purposes.
  • If a person wants to surrender his one & only PAN, he should write a letter to his jurisdictional A.O. mentioning his PAN details & the reason for requesting surrender of PAN.
Leave a Rating!
5.0 (4 Votes)
Niteesh Singh
Niteesh is a Tax Researcher and Content Lead at H&R Block (India). He holds an MBA with a specialisation in BFSI domain. In his career spanning over six years, he has helped thousands of people understand taxes in a simple and effective manner. Outside work, Niteesh is an astronomy geek who is also involved in wildlife conservation activities.

Still Have Questions?