PAN application process
Online PAN CARD Application
PAN, or Permanent Account Number,
is a unique 10-digit alphanumeric identity allotted to each taxpayer by the Income
Tax Department. PAN is an identification key
with which the Income Tax Department can track the taxable component of your financial
transactions and round up tax defaulters.
The PAN application process for an individual is given below:
Step 1: Locate, fill and submit online form:
- Visit https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan
- Choose the appropriate form - Form 49 A is for Indian citizens and
Form 49AA is for foreign citizens
- Fill in your details – when in doubt yell i.e. refer to the instructions
given in the form for each detail asked
- Submit the form online - an acknowledgement is displayed which has
a unique 15 digit acknowledgement number
Step 2: Getting together the acknowledgement package
- Save and print a copy of this acknowledgement.
- Paste two recent colour photographs with white background (size 3.5 cm x 2.5 cm)
in the space provided.
- Sign twice - once within the box provided for signature and once across the photograph
pasted on the left side of the form – a part of the sign should spill over on the
- DO NOT sign or put any mark on the photograph
affixed on the right side of the form. If any mark hinders the clear visibility
of the face of the applicant here, the application is rejected! You will have to
restart the whole process. Ugh!
- A proof of address, a proof of identity and a proof of date of birth have to be
attached to the acknowledgment form. Aadhar card, Passport, Electoral photo identity
card, driving license are acceptable documents for all three “proof-categories”
and so are the most convenient to attach. The entire list of acceptable documents
is mentioned in the form.
- IMPORTANT - Your name as mentioned in the
proof documents should be in the same format as that in the PAN application form
… else it is Ugh once more! So please take
care when you fill your name if the form.
Step 3: Payment of fees
- The fee is Rs. 107/- if communication address is within India
and Rs. 989/- if outside India
- For within India the fee can be paid by Demand draft, cheque, debit/credit
card, net banking
- For outside India it can be paid by Debit/credit card and demand
- Cheque / DD should be in favour of NSDL – PAN.
- Save and print the payment acknowledgement for debit/credit card payment or net
- This payment acknowledgement or cheque/ demand draft will also be added to the acknowledgement
package we have prepared earlier.
- Now our parcel is ready for dispatch!
Step 4 – Send the parcel
- Send the parcel to NSDL at 'Income Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance
Infrastructure Limited, 5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8,
Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune - 411016'.
- Super scribe envelope with ‘APPLICATION
FOR PAN – and your acknowledgement number’.
- The parcel must reach NDSDL within 15 days of submission of online application.
Step 5 – Track your PAN application
- After three days of application you can track the status of your PAN application
using the Acknowledgment Number
- Receive your PAN Card
…… And now dear reader it’s time to pay your taxes and
file your returns – you have
received your PAN Card; the taxman has the identification