annual information report
AIR- Annual Information Report
June 19, 2018
US gift tax
IRS Gift Tax Rate – Limit & Exclusion
June 25, 2018

How to Make Corrections to Your PAN Card

Last Update Date : April 29, 2019
Estimated Read Time: 5 min

PAN card correction

The slightest change in details can create an impact that you cannot foresee. For example, a slight mismatch in the percentage of your college marks from 75% to 57% can impact your ranking and your future career. Additionally, a missing zero or an addition of a zero in a cheque can impact the amount in your bank account. Similarly, any mistakes in PAN card, which now has to be mandatorily linked with Aadhaar, can have ramifications that you cannot possibly expect. It is always recommended to fix these errors as soon as they come to your attention. Let’s see how to make corrections/update the details in your PAN card.

Steps to PAN Card Correction

The procedure for correct any incorrect details in your PAN is simple and can be done online in four easy steps:

  1. Fill out the form at the NSDL website.
  2. Make the payment
  3. Print out the filled-out form
  4. Send it to the NSDL office.

Offline Method

Fill out the PAN correction form and submit it to your local NSDL collection center.

PAN correction form

Filling out PAN Card Correction Form Online

For filling out the PAN correction form online, there are two methods you can choose.

Method 1

Step 1: Visit the NSDL website

Step 2: From the drop down menu select “Changes or Correction to PAN” option in “Application Type”.

PAN correction online

Step 3: Fill in your personal details and select “Submit” after entering CAPTCHA.

Step 4: In the next step, select which mode of verification for ID and address proof:

  • Physical acknowledgement: Printed application along with documents and photo must be mailed to NSDL e-gov at below specified address.
  • Aadhaar based e-Sign: Upload all required scanned documents and photo. There is no need to send the completed PAN application and documents to NSDl e-gov office.
  • Aadhaar based e-KYC: If selecting this option, then the information recorded on your Aadhaar would be considered for the details of you PAN, for example address, name, dob, photo, etc.). No need to send documents or photo to NSDL e-Gov. PAN will be mailed to address mentioned in Aadhaar.

NOTE: Foreigners and foreign entities cannot opt for online verification method and paper method must be used.

Step 5: Enter all the requested details on the next following screens.

Step 6: Next, ensure all the details displayed are accurate and then proceed to make payment.

Step 7: Once payment is made, an acknowledgement number will be displayed. If it is not an individual application, for example HUF or company, then the authorized signatory must sign the form. If it is to be mailed then ensure to mention on the envelop, “Application for PAN change request” and post it to:

NSDL e-Gov at ‘Income Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411 016’.

Method 2

Step 1: Visit the NSDL website and select “Online application for changes or correction to PAN data”

PAN correction_1Step 2: At the bottom of the screen, select the category of applicant, whether individual or HUF for example.

PAN correction_2Step 3: Fill in all the required details, marked with “ * “. Check the box which requires the new change of information.

PAN correction_3Step 4: Upload your photo and documents and click on “Submit”

PAN correction_4Step 5: Make your payment from the options listed, such as Credit Card, Debit Card or Demand Draft.

Step 6: Note down the acknowledgment number to track the status of your application.

Step 7: Print the completed application form and post it to the above-mentioned address with your photo affixed and required documents.

Documents Required to Update/Modify PAN Details

The documents required to change/modify existing details for the different types of applicants are as follows:
Indian individuals and HUF – Some valid ID/Address/Date of Birth proofs are:

ID ProofProof of AddressDate of Birth Proof
Aadhaar CardAadhaar CardAadhaar Card
PassportPassportMatriculation Certificate
Driving LicenseDriving LicenseBirth Certificate
Pensioner CardElectricity Bill
Ration CardConsumer Gas Connection
Post Office Passbook
Credit Card Statement

Companies/firms in India – Registration certificate issued by valid authority for ID and address proof.
Companies/firms outside India – Registration certificate from the country located in, duly attested by Indian High Commission or Embassy. Also, a copy of the registration certificate from a valid authority in India.
Foreign Citizens – Whether living abroad or in India, they will need to submit their passport, OCI/PIO certificates for ID and address proofs.
Foreign entities (not individuals) – Registration certificate issued in the country of the applicant or issued by the Indian High Commission or Embassy. Also, a copy of the registration certificate from a local Indian authority must also be attached.

Documents for Name Changes to PAN

  1. If a change in name due to marriage is required, the marriage certificate or wedding invitations copy of passport showing husband’s name (or vice versa) or publication of ‘name-change’ in gazette.
  2. For legal name changes, then he/she must submit proof of name change printed in gazette.
  3. Companies must provide registration certificate showing the name.

Processing Fees

If the applicant is a resident of India, then the application fee is Rs 110. For applicants located outside India, the processioning fee is Rs. 1020. If payment is being made by Demand Draft, the name of the applicant along with acknowledgement should be clearly mentioned on the back side and it should be made in favor to “NSDL – PAN payable at Mumbai”.

Check Application Status

To check the status of your application:
1. Visit the NSDL website
2. Select application type
3. Enter acknowledgement number given at time of application submission
4. Enter CAPTCHA code and select “Submit”

PAN StatusHow H&R Block Can Help You?

Saving taxes and filing income tax return accurately becomes very easy when you have professional help. This is where we come into the picture. You can either use our intuitive tax filing platform to easily file your tax return or let our tax experts file it for you. We have a team of in-house tax experts who can file your tax returns accurately while giving you maximum tax benefits.

Leave a Rating!
5.0 (2 Votes)
Chetan Chandak (B.Com, LLB)
Chetan is the Head of Tax Research at H&R Block (India) with an experience of more than a decade in tax advising. He is also a regular contributor for some of the leading news publications in India such as Economic Times, Financial Express and Money Control. Professionally, Chetan is fascinated by international taxation and expat-related tax research.

Still Have Questions?