PAN, or Permanent Account Number,
is a unique 10-digit alphanumeric identity allotted to each taxpayer by the Income
Tax Department. PAN is an identification key
with which the Income Tax Department can track the taxable component of your financial
transactions and round up tax defaulters.
How to Surrender Additional PAN Online?
A PAN card once issued, remains valid throughout the lifetime of the person to whom it belongs.
However, there are occasions when due to some reasons, a person needs to surrender his PAN card. The process for surrendering PAN depends on the reason for which the PAN card is being surrendered.
This guide is divided into 4 parts explaining how one can surrender PAN cards in various cases:
a) Surrendering of duplicate PAN card
b) Surrendering of PAN card due to death of individual holder
c) Surrendering of firm/partnership/company PAN card
d) Surrendering of PAN in use
A) Surrendering of Duplicate PAN Card:
It is possible that you might be in the possession of duplicate PAN card.
It might have reached you because you applied for it multiple times or due to error
from government's end. Whatever be the reason, you must surrender any additional PAN
you own because it is illegal to own more than one PAN.
There are two ways to surrender your PAN card – online & offline.
Online Process to Surrender Duplicate PAN card:
Go to Income Tax department's website at http://incometax.sparshindia.com/pan/newPAN.asp
- Submit the required details online like details of additional PAN,
details of PAN you wish to keep, personal information like your name, date of birth & contact details.
- Submit the form you filled online.
Offline Process to Surrender Duplicate PAN card:
- Write a letter addressing your jurisdictional A.O. requesting cancellation of additional PAN.
- In the letter, don' t forget to give details of the PAN card you want to surrender as well as the details of PAN card you want to keep.
- Either post the letter to the jurisdictional A.O. or personally deliver it to him.
B) Surrendering of PAN Card due to Death of Individual Holder:
After the demise of a person, his family members can get his PAN cancelled to avoid any possible misuse.
Steps to surrender PAN
- Write a letter addressing your jurisdictional A. 0. requesting the cancellation of additional PAN.
- The letter should cover the reason for requesting cancellation.
- It should mention the PAN details of the departed.
Note: This process can be used in case of NRIS & foreign nationals too.
C) Surrendering of Firm/Partnership/Company PAN Card
Firm/partnership/company needs to surrender its PAN if the company is being dissolved or closed. It can surrender its PAN either online or offline.
Online Process to Surrender Firm/Partnership/Company PAN Card
- Go to NSDL TIN website
- File Form 49A online. Mention the details of PAN to be cancelled in the form.
- Once you submit the form, you will get an acknowledgement.
- Point the acknowledgement & send it to the NSDL office address mentioned in the form along with the necessary documents
Offline Process to Surrender Firm/Partnership/Company PAN Card
- Write a letter addressing the firm/partnership/company’s jurisdictional A.O.
- Mention the reason for requesting surrender in the letter
- Attach relevant documents. For e.g., if the reason behind surrender request is company
being dissolved then one needs to attach a copy of the deed which states that the company is
being dissolved, a copy of PAN card, acknowledgement of return being filed for the discontinuation period.
- Submit the letter to the A.O.
D) Surrendering of PAN in use:
- Generally, it is not recommended to surrender PAN except in cases discussed above.
- Even if a person has zero income, PAN is useful as a valid identity proof to him & therefore can be used for various purposes.
- If a person wants to surrender his one & only PAN, he should write a letter to his jurisdictional A.O. mentioning his PAN details & the reason for requesting surrender of PAN.