Benefits of Filing U.S. Taxes
December 1, 2017
Tax Day: Deadline to File Taxes for U.S Expats in 2018
December 1, 2017

How to file U.S. Tax Return from India?

Last Update Date : October 10, 2018
No Need to Worry About
U.S. Expat Taxes Anymore!!

Get Ready to Become an expert in U.S. Expat Tax Filing

Your Information is 100% secure with us.

All U.S. citizens, Green card holders and Visa holders, who meet the minimum income requirements or have taxes withheld by the U.S. Government are required to file a tax return regardless of whether you have already paid taxes in your residence country. Any person, who has performed services in the U.S. or have income from U.S. sources or own real estate in the U.S., will also need to file a return.

You can file 1040 U.S. tax return by one of the following means:

  • By paper return
  • By using, IRS (Internal Revenue Service) e-file
  • Through an approved tax preparer

Paper Return

Paper return option is open for all. Both non-resident, as well as a resident, can file a paper return. The processing time for a paper return is more compared to e-file. This may take 4 to 6 weeks. Delay in the processing of tax return leads to delay in refund.
However, the paper return is expensive as you have to send your tax return from India to the USA.


Filing taxes online is generally safer, faster, and easier ― and you will get your tax refund much sooner (according to IRS you may receive your refund within 1 month) if you choose the Direct Deposit in your US bank account.

Do note that F1 & J1 visa holders have to follow a different procedure for filing their taxes.

How to file U.S. tax return through H&R Block:

Step 1: You need to register yourself with H&R Block to file U.S. Tax return.

Step 2: Enter your name, email ID, phone number and select city from the drop down. Then click on the ‘Request Call Back’ button.

Step 3
: You will receive a call back from one of the advisors. The advisor will share the following link to create your profile:

Step 4: Then you need to create your profile by entering your Email ID. You also need to enter a password and then click on the ‘Get Started’ tab.

Step 5: Here, you are supposed to select the year of filing from the drop-down menu. Then click on the ‘Get Started’ tab.

Step 6: Next, you have to provide your personal information such as name, address, SSN, Date of Birth, country of citizenship, country of residence, contact number, Email ID, etc.

Step 7: In the next step, you will be required to provide your income details by selecting the appropriate option from drop-down as per your tax situation.

Step 8: After providing your income details, upload your documents. Browse the file that you want to upload and click on ‘Upload’ button.

Step 9: Here, you are supposed to provide information related to deductions.

Step 10: In this step, you need to cross-check the details provided by you and then click on the ‘Next’ button.

Step 11: Now, you have to select your tax advisor from the dropdown menu and click on the ‘Submit’ button.

Step 12: Click on the ‘Pay’ button for paying the advance fee by clicking on the link to initiate tax preparation by H&R Block.

Step 13: In the next step, you will be guided to payment gateway. The screen will show your payment details. You can proceed further by clicking on the ‘Pay-now’ button.

Step 14: You can log in as a returning client. Click on the ‘Returning Client’ button, enter your name, password, captcha code and then click on ‘Sign In’ button.

Step 15: After you sign in, your screen will show Account Security page, where you will have to answer security question. Click on ‘Continue’ button to proceed further.

Step 16: Here, after signing in as a returning client you need to click on the ‘Get Started’ button to proceed with filing your U.S. tax return.

Advantage of filing with H&R Block

  • A taxpayer with Indian address will not be able to file return through some of the tax websites. However, H&R Block will enable you to file your U.S. tax return with Indian address.
  • First time filers often make an error choosing the right residency status, along with the right forms. Moreover, Indian income also needs to be reported in certain cases, which can be given credits against the taxes paid in foreign countries (FTC). Tax experts at H&R Block can help filers understand these modalities and file the returns on their behalf.
  • H&R Block is registered with IRS, and it has its EIN (Employer Identification Number). All the tax advisors of H&R Block have their PTIN (Preparer Tax Identification Number) by which they can file return on behalf of taxpayer through H&R Block and assure 100% accuracy. If any mistake is committed by the preparer, then H&R Block takes the responsibility to correct it.

US Taxes can get complicated, and it is always advisable to consult a seasoned expert who can file your taxes for you. At H&R Block we have such trained experts for you. H&R Block India is a 100% subsidiary of H&R Block, U.S and is registered with the IRS. We have qualified US tax experts in India, who provide complete services from tax preparation to filing.

You can click on the below button, and our tax expert will contact you to discuss your tax situation. You need not worry about anything as our tax expert shares a secure URL to submit your documents.

Not sure how to file your U.S. Tax Return? Let H&R Block help you file your taxes.
  • Share: 

Still Have Questions?