How to Interpret Different ITR-V Status?
December 1, 2017
Benefits of Filing U.S. Taxes
December 1, 2017

Documents Needed for U.S. Tax Filing

Last Update Date : April 26, 2019
Estimated Read Time: 4 min

Here is checklist of documents required for filing US taxes, which should be handy while filing your return.

First of all you need to provide the following basic information:

Did your marital status change during the year?

If yes then you need to give the details of separation with your spouse or if you have married in the year then the details of your marriage and spouse. This is required to determine the correct tax liability when you are filing either jointly or separately.

Type of Visa

Travel days for current year and preceding two years from the current (If client wants to file 2018 Tax Year Return):

  • Current Year Travel Day’s (Year 2018)
  • Preceding Year Travel Day’s (Year 2017)
  • Preceding to preceding Year Travel Day’s (Year 2016)
Get the best solution
for your U.S. Expat Taxation

Download our FREE e-book containing 26 Tips for U.S. Expat Tax Filing

Your Information is 100% secure with us.

The documents required for different types of income earned during the year are listed below.

1. Salary Income

  • W-2: You will receive this form only in U.S. This form is applicable for U.S. Expats.
  • Form 16 (2 year based on year of return filing): This form is meant for VISA holders.
  • Salary Slips from January to December: This is also applicable for VISA holders


2. Interest Income

  • Form 1099-INT: This document provides information about taxable interest paid to you during the year.
  • 1042S: This IRS form is meant to report money paid to foreign persons including non-resident aliens.
  • Bank Statement: Visa holders need to provide their Bank Statement for U.S. taxes.


3. Dividend Income

  • Form 1099-DIV: It is a record of all capital gains and dividends paid to you during the year.
  • 1042S: This IRS form is meant to report money paid to foreign persons including non-resident aliens.
  • Bank Statement: Visa holders need to provide their Bank Statement for U.S. taxes.


4. State refund if itemized deduction claimed in previous year

  • Form 1099-G


5. Sale of securities, bonds or any investment property (real estate property).

  • 1099-B: It summarizes the proceeds of any stock transactions you made.
  • 1099-S
  • Consolidated Statement
  • Settlement Statement of purchase and sale of property
  • Capital gain statement or brokerage statement


6. Rental income & expense records

  • 1099-MISC: Form 1099-MISC reports rental income and losses.
  • Rental Agreement.
  • Rent Receipts.
  • Any Municipal taxes
  • Settlement statement
  • Cost of improvement and date of improvement if any.


7. Other pensions and annuities

  • Form 1099-R: This form meant for U.S. Expats reports the distribution of retirement benefits such as pensions, annuities or other retirement plans.
  • Form 5498: You will receive IRS Form 5498 if you made contributions to an IRA (Individual Retirement Account) in the preceding tax year.


8. Social Security Income

  • Form 1099-SSA: You will receive this tax form every year in January if you are availing Social Security benefits. The form entails the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the last year. Through this form you will know how Social Security income to report to IRS (Internal Revenue Service) on your tax return.


9. Lottery and gambling winnings and losses

  • Form W2-G: The form W-2G reports income and withholdings related to gambling.


10. Stock Option Information

  • Grant Statement
  • Exercise Statement
  • Capital Gain statement of Stock option


11. Student Loan Interest

  • Form 1098-E: If you are repaying a student loan, you will receive this form from the lender. It states the amount of interest you have paid on your educational debt.
  • Statement of student loan account


12. Tuition and Fees Deduction

  • Form 1098-T: If you are a higher-education student then the academic institution will provide you with this form. This form is important for you in case you qualify for education-related tax benefits.


13. Information related to IRA contribution

  • Form 5498


14. Health Saving Account

  • Form 1099-SA


15. Information related to child and dependent care expense

  • Name, EIN and address of care provider.
  • Amount of child and dependent care expense
  • Name and SSN of dependent


16. Medical expenses

  • 1099-LTC
  • Receipts of medical expenses


17. Real estate tax payment

  • Receipts for payment of Tax
  • Tax bill


18. Mortgage interest payment

  • Form 1098-mortgage: The form entails the interest paid by you in the last year.
  • Mortgage Interest statement


19. Payment of personal property tax

  • Tax bill of payment of tax
  • Registration fees


20. Charitable contribution

  • Receipts of the contribution


21. Information related to any estimated tax payment and tax paid

  • Bank Statement
  • Quarterly Paid statement
  • Form 26AS and India tax return copy for following year:
    AY 2019-20
    AY 2018-19


22. Full copy of prior year US Tax return including carry over sheet if any

  • FORM 1040 and schedule A: Form 1040 is one of the official documents that U.S. taxpayers can use to file their annual income tax return. The form is divided into sections where you can report your income and deductions to determine the amount of tax you owe or the refund you can expect to receive. Depending on the type of income you report, it may be necessary to attach other forms or schedules to it
    You need full copy of return.


23. Details of foreign accounts like bank account, mutual fund account, fixed deposit (FBAR) (if total value of all this account is more than $10,000 you need to share the following information)

  • Name
  • Address
  • Maximum value during the year
  • Account Type (Like Joint, Separate)

Apart from the above mentioned documents, you might also need the documents under the following heads pertaining to U.S. tax filing:

  • Any income from Partnership, Corporation or Trust
  • Information for any other source of income
  • Income from Bartering and Income from installment sale
  • Alimony Paid (Information of spouse to whom it was paid)
  • Moving Expense


The above list of documents is an exhaustive list when you file US taxes and all the forms might not be applicable to all cases. H&R Block, India understands the nuances attached to US Tax filing and our experts make sure that you are safeguarded against any mistakes. We have a team of experts who can help you file your US taxes in time and accurately.

How’s your tax refund doing this year? Not sure?

Get a Tax Pro from H&R Block to get you the best refund starting at $75 only
Leave a Rating!
4.9 (19 Votes)
Mohammadfaruq Memon
Mohd. Faruq Memon is the Head of U.S. Expat Tax Services at H&R Block (India) with an industry experience of fifteen years. He holds a masters-level qualification and his expertise lies in Dual Taxation. On weekends, Faruq is a movie buff who also enjoys watching cricket!

Still Have Questions?