Many countries around the world have a method of identifying the residents in the country, such as the USA’s Social Security Number (SSN). It gives a unique identity to the citizens and helps the government to provide specific services to those categories of individuals along with provisions of security in the country. So, as part of development methodologies, India too has adopted this concept and thus, the concept of Aadhaar Card came into existence. The Aadhaar project was the largest national identification number project in the entire world! This guide outlines how to update your Aadhaar Card details.
The details captured on the Aadhaar card of every resident are recorded in the UIDAI system. However, only certain details are mentioned on the card, whereas the other details are saved in the Aadhaar’s database like finger prints, retinal scan, etc., that can be accessed only through certain channels.
The demographic details that are available on the Aadhaar card are as below:
The biometric information contains retinal scan, fingerprints, and facial photograph, which can also be updated
Aadhaar card enables every citizen of India to have a proper identity proof and it comes with lot of benefits like Residence Proof, Identity Card, Bank Account Opening, Income Tax services, availing subsidies under Government Schemes, pension benefits etc.
Keeping in view the importance of an Aadhaar card, whenever there are biometric or demographic changes, it’s very essential to keep the details updated as they get saved in Central Identities Data Repository (CIDR).
There are 3 modes to update the Aadhaar Card details:
Here are the 11 steps to be followed to update the Aadhaar card details online.
1. Login to the UIDAI official web site
2. Enter your valid Aadhaar Card number along with the Text Verification. Click on “Send OTP” option. Enter the OTP with the Captcha code and click on “Submit” option.
3. It will get directed to a new page which is “Data Request Page”. Now select the field where the changes must be done.
4. Scan and upload the proof of the changed details that has been updated.
5. Fill up the details and double check on the accuracy of the information as it will get reflected in the new Aadhaar card.
6. A URN (Update Request Number) will be generated through which the Aadhaar card update process can be tracked by the applicant.
7. You can drop the receipt or download a copy containing the URN. Once updated, you can download the updated Aadhaar card and print it.
8. Using the URN residents can any time check the Aadhaar Card update status.
But as per the latest update not all details can be updated online except the address details.
If a person wants to update the details as below, then he must visit the nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre:
If you are opting online Self-Service Update Portal for correction of Aadhaar details, you can update your Demographic details (Address). Please ensure that your mobile number is registered in Aadhaar while using this service.
Click here for more information on Address Updating process, which will take you to the below shown screen:
You can also update the Aadhaar Card details through Post and follow the below steps to complete the process.
1. Download the “Aadhaar Data Correction/Update Form”
2. Fill the required details which you wish to change in your Aadhaar card.
3. You will have to submit the photocopies of the documents that validate the changes requested to be made in the form.
4. Send the form along with documents to the postal address as mentioned below:
Address 1: UIDAI
Post Box No. 10,
Madhya Pradesh – 480001,
Address 2: UIDAI
Post Box No. 99,
Hyderabad – 500034,
Aadhaar Enrolment centres are those entities who enrol the residents for Aadhaar after taking their biometric and demographic details following the UIDAI enrolment process. There are certain enrolment agencies that work with Registrars who operate these Aadhaar Enrolment Centres. These agencies ensure uninterrupted streamlining of information to the UIDAI database. The main purpose of Aadhaar Enrolment Centre is the new applicant’s enrolment, assistance to existing Aadhaar card holders in updating their details etc. All the services are free for the first time and a nominal fee is applicable later for certain services as per the prescribed rates of UIDAI.
Aadhaar Enrolment Centres in other cities can be found Aadhaar Enrolment Centres
, which will take you to the below shown screen:
Click here for Aadhaar Enrolment Centre in Tier I cities.
Residents having Aadhaar card can update their details visiting the nearest Enrolment Centre by following the steps below:
1. Aadhaar Correction form has to be filled by the applicant
2. Ensure to mention the correct details in the form
3. Provide self-attested proofs to support the changes as per your request
4. Submit the form and the relevant document proofs to the Executive
5. Enrolment Centres charge Rs. 25/- for every such visit towards the correction of details like biometric data, mobile numbers, photo etc.
Children who are of 5 years should visit Aadhaar enrolment centre to submit their biometric data. After they reach 15 years of age, they should visit an enrolment centre again to submit their biometric data. This biometric data is considered as the final one which remains with your Aadhaar for lifetime.
Keeping the importance of Aadhaar Card in view, we need to ensure that all the details are accurate and genuine both at the time of applying for Aadhaar Card as well as the Correction of details. Incorrect declaration might lead to rejection of the application and you are forced to do the process again to submit the correct details.
You can refer to the below list for the supporting documents for updating / correction of the Aadhaar card details.
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has certain procedures to validate the changes requested by the applicants. After all these criteria are satisfied, UIDAI will update or change the details on their system. Not all the changes will get the approval and may get rejected at times as per the scenario.
Let us have a look at the conditions that has to be fulfilled before the changes are made to the Aadhaar details:
In case of Aadhaar card application is rejected for any reason, applicants can make necessary changes in the form and send the request again along with appropriate supportive documents.
The government has taken various measure to ensure all citizens apply for Aadhaar card as having an Aadhaar makes life much easier when it comes to various schemes offered by the government. This Aadhaar project is the world’s largest biometric system and a 12-digit unique identity number that can be obtained by Indian citizens. Now the central government has taken measures so that local post-offices and banks also provide the Aadhaar enrolment services to the citizens apart from the enrolment centers and online application options.
Our experts at H&R Block, India are happy to assist you in case you need any further assistance. For all your tax saving and planning queries, consult with the experts at H&R Block India.