Let us know all about the e-way bill
E-way bill is an electronic way bill for movement of goods which can be generated on the GSTN (common portal). A ‘movement’ of goods of more than Rs 50,000 in value cannot be made by a registered person without an e-way bill.
E-way bill will also be allowed to be generated or cancelled through SMS.
When an e-way bill is generated, a unique e-way bill number (EBN) is allocated and is available to supplier, recipient, and the transporter.
Let’s look at the situations where you need an e-way bill
- An e-way bill should be generated when there is movement of goods in relation to a ‘supply’
- It should also be generated for reasons other than a ‘supply’ like in case of return of goods
- It is also required when an inward ‘supply’ occurs from an unregistered person
The following parties need to generate e-way bill:
- An e-way bill needs to be generated before movement of goods by every registered person who is a consignor/ consignee/ recipient/ transporter of goods
- Unregistered person under GST also needs to generate e-way bill if the recipient is registered. However, compliance needs to be done by recipient as if he is the supplier.
We hope you found this useful. For more information on such topics please visit hrblock.in