Children Education Allowance Exemption & Rules | H&R Block
How do I Report Short Term Capital Gain on my ITR-2 Form
March 18, 2018
Capital Gain Taxability & Exemptions u/s 54 and 54F
March 19, 2018

Children Education Allowance Exemption & Rules

Education facility provided by the employer to an employee is treated as perquisite. Following are some key considerations from the point of view taxation.


  1. Amount spent by the employer for providing free education facility & training of employee is not taxable.
  2. Fixed education allowance received from the employer is exempted from tax to the extent of Rs. 100 per month for a maximum of 2 children.
  3. Allowances paid for hostel is exempt to the extent of Rs. 300 per month for maximum 2 children.
  4. School fee paid directly by the employer for employee’s family member is fully taxable.
  5. Reimbursement of expenses paid for the education of employee’s family member is taxable as perquisite.
  6.  Education facility provided by the institution owned and maintained by the employer to employee and his family members will be taxable under the following conditions:
    1.  Education provided to employees’ children:
      1. Educational expenses up to Rs. 1000 per month – per child is exempt from tax.
      2. If the value exceeds Rs. 1000 per month – per child then chargeable tax amount will be calculated as follows:
        • Cost to employer minus 1,000 and minus any amount paid/received from the employee.
    2. Education facility provided to family members other than children will be taxable on the basis of the cost of education in the same institution or in an institution in the nearby locality. If any amount is paid by the employee, then this amount is deducted from the cost of education in the same institution or in an institution in the nearby locality, the difference amount is taxable.
  7. Scholarships are tax-free when the amount paid is received in a bank account maintained specifically for the purpose of a scholarship scheme. Scholarships paid by the employer are not taxable as perquisite.

How H&R Block can help you?

Saving taxes and e-filing of income tax return accurately becomes very easy when you have professional help. This is where we come into the picture. You can either use our intuitive tax filing platform to easily file your tax return or let our tax experts file it for you. We have a team of in-house tax experts who can file your income tax returns accurately while giving you maximum tax benefits.


  • Smart and Hassle-free tax filing experience withdedicated tax expert
  • 100% Secure Online Tax Vault to store all your documents
  • Year-round post filing support
  • Share: 
H&R Block India
H&R Block India
H&R Block India is the subsidiary of the world's leading tax filing company, H&R Block, US. In India we provide online and personalised tax filing services for individuals, professionals and businesses. We also provide managed services for GST.


  1. mahesh says:

    children education allowance exmptions, even if children are born as twin or more, what is rule about it, pls clarify whether only rs 100 per child max of two childern is exempt

    • Ritesh Kumar Singh says:

      yes Rs.100 per child and maximum 2 child for Tuition fee (2400). And for hostel charges Rs.300 for two children is exempt.

  2. Vikas tyagi says:

    I claimed rs 18000 as CEA . tell me about income TeX rebate . I am serving in SSB MHA

  3. louie says:

    Is Day care after school considered as Hostel?

  4. Bilal Ahmed says:

    Can we claim for second and third child’s education allowance instead of first and second child?

  5. Kirti Kumar says:

    Can we not claim for Annual or Quarterly Tuition fees paid in one go? Because, most of CBSE and ICSE schools in India charge more than INR 2400 per month or quarterly basis.

  6. D. Galalbhai says:

    I claimed rs36000 as CEA tell me about income TeX rebate Am serving BSF



  8. lalit kumar says:

    confirm current status of CEA . As i got information now its 15000 per child

  9. Nk sharma says:

    Sir, my wife is a teacher in a private school and my children study in same school. We do not pay any fee to school for children. But School reflects tuition fees in the form of perks to her salary. Can we get a receipt of tuition fees from school for claiming children education allowance.

  10. Chhotelal says:

    I got children allowance for one son and I spent on tuition fees of two children which amount i can deduct from the gross salary

  11. Kishan Chand says:

    Whether tuition fees (CEA) and hostel subsidy both can be claimed at same time of one child.

  12. shankar kumar says:

    If my frist child is disbable. she is not able for education then i can claim third child for child education allowance.

  13. Dear Sir,
    Is a salaried employee not having any children eligible for deduction of children’s education allowance to the extent of Rs. 200/ per month.
    Please clarify.

  14. BISWAJIT NAG says:

    you have not mentioned max. age limit to grant a kid as child.

  15. chandran says:

    my son going to college but can i take children education allowance

  16. Dr Rajkumar says:

    Sir May an employee can claim education allowance with his choice firstly two elder and later besides eldest For No 2&3or including youngest or

  17. shyam says:

    Is it necessary for Unmarried employees ?

  18. paula says:

    what about adopted child?? for max exemption upto 2400 can the adopted child be included??

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *