Are Arrears of Salary Taxable – H&R Block
Leave Salary Encashment Exemption
October 22, 2014
Interest Free Loans to Employees in India
October 27, 2014

Are Arrears of Salary Taxable – Income Tax on Salary

Salary received by an employee is taxable on receipt or due basis, whichever is earlier. Salary is generally taxable on due basis, whereas, advance salary or arrears salary is taxable on receipt basis. In this article we will explain taxability of salary on due or receipt basis.

Employee receives a monthly salary from his employer. This may be on the last day of the month or a pre-decided day of the next month. Generally salary is taxable on due basis. Consider this example: Salary for the month of March, 2016 was due on 31st March, 2016 and received on 7th April, 2016. In this case salary for the month of March will be taxed in the financial year 2015-16 and not in the year of receipt i.e. 2016-17.

In following two conditions, salary is taxable on receipt basis.

  • Arrears of salary received
  • Advance salary received

When employee receives arrears of salary for the previous year’s, which was not taxed earlier on due basis, then salary received is taxed on receipt basis. Arrears of salary are common for Government employees as their salary get revised with every pay commission order. Advance salary received is always taxed on receipt basis.

A taxpayer can claim relief u/s 89(1) for arrears or advance salary for which he should file Form 10E.

H&R Block India strives to blend tax expertise with a strong focus on continually improving the client experience to provide all its clients with an unparalleled value proposition for E filing their Income Tax Returns Online.

 Visit for more information or to find your nearest office.

H&R Block India
H&R Block India
H&R Block India is the subsidiary of the world's leading tax filing company, H&R Block, US. In India we provide online and personalised tax filing services for individuals, professionals and businesses. We also provide managed services for GST.


  1. Neeraj says:

    But i didnt find the option to claim u/s 89(1) on hrblock while filing my tax returns. Pls include it in future.

  2. Ashok kumar says:

    Sir, due to ACP/MACP arrear of increased salary from 1999 onwards. Income tax should have scattered on the respective year of income.How tax will be deducted. Please brief.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *